SCUA Reading Room Policy
This reading room policy ensures the security and preservation of materials held at Special Collections & University Archives.
- To learn more about UCR's campus-wide response to the Covid-19 pandemic, please visit the Environmental Health & Safety coronavirus page.
- Collections do not circulate and must be used in the reading room.
- No food, drinks, or gum.
- A valid photo ID is required.
- Personal items (bags, purses, briefcases, hats, jackets, etc.) must be stored in a locker.
- Pencils only in the reading room. No pens, highlighters, white out, or post-it notes.
- Personal notebooks and non-Special Collections & University Archives books may be consulted, but will be inspected before and after using collections.
- Devices such as laptops, tablets, cameras, and cell phones (silenced) are allowed.
- Research photos may be taken without a flash. No personal scanners, tripods, or lights. No standing on stools or ladders.
- Special Collections & University Archives collections are only to be used on designated tables (not on the computer tables). Use of tables and computers are for Special Collections & University Archives researchers only.
- While we encourage researchers to always ask for help and to work collaboratively, volume should be kept to a respectful level. Phone calls should be taken outside of the glass doors.
- All researchers need to register in the Special Collections Request System. While walk-ins are welcome, researchers are advised to request materials ahead of time to avoid delays.
- Materials will not be paged during the last 15 minutes of the day.
- Use of cataloged materials (books, periodicals, etc.) is limited to 2 items at a time.
- Use of manuscript and archival materials is limited to 1 box at a time.
Care and Handling
- Collections must always be within the line of sight of the staff member at the information desk.
- Keep documents flat and completely on the table - not hanging off the edge.
- Please watch long necklaces, headphone cords, clothing (such as ties or scarves), and long hair.
- Do not place anything under or on top of collection items.
- Do not write on anything on top of collection items. Never add or erase marks in any collections.
- Point with your finger, not with your pencil.
- Nitrile gloves must be worn to touch photographic prints and film.
Do not wear gloves when handling paper materials.
- Use a book cradle for all bound volumes.
Book weights can help hold down pages.
- Please maintain the original order of all unbound material. Place markers are provided for this purpose. If items appear to be missing or out of order, do not rearrange; please notify staff instead.