Eaton Collection of Science Fiction and Fantasy
The Eaton Collection of Science Fiction & Fantasy is one of the world's largest, richest, and deepest collections of science fiction, fantasy, horror, utopian literature and related genres. The collection originated with the personal library of Dr. J. Lloyd Eaton, consisting of about 7,500 hardback editions of science fiction, fantasy and horror from the Nineteenth to the mid-Twentieth centuries, which was acquired by the UCR Library in 1969.
As the collection has grown, it has become a major resource for research in all aspects of speculative fiction and is visited by scholars from around the world.
The collection contains more than 300,000 items, including:
- More than 100,000 hardback and paperback books
- Complete runs of many pulp magazines
- Nearly 100,000 fanzines
- Associated literary collections of more than 30 science fiction, fantasy, and horror authors
- Film and visual materials, including 500 shooting scripts from science fiction films
- Thousands of comic books, anime, and manga
- Collectible ephemera and realia, including cards, posters, pins and action figures
About J. Lloyd Eaton
J. Lloyd Eaton was born in Berkeley, CA in 1902. He attended UC Berkeley, then UC Medical School, and received his MD in 1928. Eaton specialized in pulmonology (diseases of the lungs) and practiced medicine in the Bay Area until his retirement in 1960. During his life, he was an avid book collector and one of the pioneering SF fans in Northern California. Dr. Eaton was personally acquainted with such writers as Anthony Boucher, Ray Bradbury and Robert A. Heinlein. He edited the fanzine Rhodomagnetic Digest.
Eaton Collection Sub-Areas
- Authors Papers
In addition to the authors papers, the Eaton Collection includes a number of collections of prominent editors in the field.
- Dozois (Gardner) Papers (MS 097)
- Kopaska-Merkel (David C.) Collection on Dreams and Nightmares (MS 184)
- The New York Review of Science Fiction Records (MS 410)
- Reginald (Robert) papers (MS 369)
The Eaton Collection several collections of noted scholars in the field of speculative fiction and conference materials.
- Alkon (Paul K.) Papers, circa 1990
- See also: J. Lloyd Eaton Science Fiction Conference Collection (UA 291) in University Archives
- See also: George Slusser papers (UA 213) in University Archives
Film and Television Collections
The Eaton Collection includes collections related to the development and production of key science fiction films and television programs.
- Alien Nation Television Scripts (Collection of) (MS 188)
- Cassutt (Michael) Papers (MS 187)
- Film and Television Scripts Collection (MS 379)
- Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda Television Scripts (Collection of) (MS 210)
- Johnson (Kenneth) science fiction film and television videocassettes (MS 138)
- Treviño (Jesús Salvador) Science Fiction Collection (MS 273)
Fandom has long been a core component of the worlds of speculative fiction and the Eaton Collection contains a large number of collections documenting the fan experience.
- Ackerman (Forrest J.) Collection on Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror (MS 284)
- Baton Rouge Science Fiction League Records (MS 209)
- Caplan (Donna) Collection on Star Trek (MS 327)
- Carr (Terry) Collection on Science Fiction Fandom (MS 359)
- Cartoon/Fantasy Organization (CF/O) records (MS 149)
- Clark (Catherine) Papers (MS 384)
- Eaton (J. Lloyd) Papers (MS 205)
- Ford (Don E.) Slide Collection (MS 405)
- Freeman (Randall) Collection on Star Trek (MS 328)
- Gerson (Sidney V.) papers (MS 358)
- Howard (Stephen) Collection on Star Trek (MS 367)
- K/S Star Trek Fan Fiction Collection (MS 320)
- Kemp (Earl) Collection on Science Fiction (MS 009)
- Klein (Jay Kay) Photographs and Papers on Science Fiction Fandom (MS 381)
- Kuist (Gordon) Collection on Science Fiction and Fantasy (MS 412)
- Patten (Fred) Collection on Science Fiction and Animation (MS 250)
- Patten (Fred) Papers (MS 214)
- Pelz (Bruce) Collection on Science Fiction Fandom (MS 343)
- Ruíz-Torres (Mari) collection on The X-Files (MS 348)
- Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Animation Convention Collection (MS 314)
- Sneary (Rick) Papers (MS 197)
Graphic Arts and Realia
The Eaton Collection contains a number of collections comprised primarily of science fiction and fantasy-themed graphical art, posters, three dimensional art objects, and other realia.
- Brennan (Michael) Collection on Science Fiction and Fantasy (MS 112)
- Collection of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artwork (MS 098)
- Collection of Science Fiction and Fantasy Realia (MS 222)
- Glassy (Mark) Collection on Frankenstein (MS 039)
- Jennings (John) papers (MS 082)
- Rotsler (William) Papers (MS 195)
- Science Fiction and Fantasy posters (MS 260)
- Shiffman (Stu) Papers (MS 404)
- World Fantasy Award prize collection (MS 135)
Society for Creative Anachronism
The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) was founded in 1966 and had deep ties to science fiction and fantasy fandom from its beginnings. The Eaton Collection includes some materials that are the result of this interest cross over. Newsletters and other print material related to the SCA can be also found in the library catalog.